Sunday, February 10, 2013

p.s.--pg 14 is my favorite for you



On Saturday morning Matt and I had some time to ourselves, so we decided to stop in at Prospero's on 39th Street and look for a book to take with us to our favorite coffee shop, Broadway Café
Matt said we had ten minutes. 
I said it was insulting to walk into a used bookstore and only spend ten minutes. 
He conceded and said we could take twelve minutes.
I rolled my eyes.
Since I didn't figure that I had time to browse through fiction, I hovered about the poetry section instead.  I found a copy of Mary Oliver's Dream Work.  I was planning on buying the book anyway, but then I found a scribbled note on the title page:

To Ben--
When reading this poetry, I cannot help but think of you.  The continuing theme is one of finding your spiritual self, a struggle which you have embarked upon and which I know you will find peace in. 
Much luck and love on your journey--
             Jennifer
p.s.--pg 14 is my fav for you!

from page 14:

"Wild Geese"
You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
   love what it loves.
Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers. 
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting--
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I find myself locked in the same struggle: to find my spiritual self.  It is a journey upon which I have embarked and in which I hope that I will find peace. 

Perhaps you find yourself tangled in that same struggle, yet hopeful that you, too, will find peace.

Much luck and love on your journey--
            Jill
p.s.--pg 14 is my fav for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment